Application process

Here you will find information about the application process with Base Residential and general tenant FAQ’s. If you have any further questions, we’d love to hear from you.

How do I apply? 

If you find a property that’s right for you, get in touch with a member of the team. Your lettings manager will reserve the property for you and start the application process.

Will I need a guarantor? 

A guarantor will be required for those applicants who have either, recently moved to the UK, unemployed applicants, students or for those whose annual salary does not satisfy the rent versus affordability. A guarantor is usually a parent or relative that is willing to sign a consent form. The guarantor must be a UK resident.

Do I need to supply a reference and any other supporting evidence?

Yes, you will need to supply: Current employment information including role and salary information (if applicable), bank or building society account number and sort code for credit checking. Previous landlord information. These are provided to confirm your ability to meet the rental commitment.

Do I have to pay any upfront fees?

When you have decided to go ahead with a let on a property, an administration fee is payable. Administration fees contribute towards the cost of referencing and administration in processing your application to let. You can find more information about fees here.

What happens when my application is successful?

Once your application is successful, congratulations! It’s time to set a date for you to come in to the office to fill out all necessary paperwork and get the ball rolling with your move in.

How much is my first rent payment?

We require one months rent upfront when you come to collect the keys.  The rent will then be taken monthly by standing order. This is agreed prior to check in by both parties.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

Yes, the deposit is equivalent to one calendar months rent which must also be paid prior to the tenancy start date. The deposit is held securely with the DPS (Deposit Protection Service) and is returned at the end of the tenancy. This is subject to an end of tenancy inspection and the condition in which you leave the property upon departure.

How long is the period of tenancy?

The tenancy offered is usually equivalent to 6 months and is known as an Assured Short Hold Tenancy (AST). If you would like to stay longer than the initial six months, you will be asked to either renew your tenancy for a further period of 6 months or continue onto a periodic tenancy, which renews month by month.

What is a tenancy agreement?

It is a legally binding document between you and the landlord, applicable to the property you are renting. The tenancy agreement states the amount of rent, the length of the tenancy and your rights and responsibilities.

What are my responsibilities?

These should be clearly set out in your tenancy agreement, which you should read carefully before you sign. If in doubt, ask us.

How long does it take before I can move in?

It is difficult to provide an exact time frame from point of application to move in date. A move in cannot commence until your referees have responded to your reference request and you will also need to arrange a bank transfer, covering the first rent period and the deposit. During this time, your lettings manager will undertake a pre-move in inspection and contents inventory of the property. When all of this is completed, we will organise a move in date. It is our aim to make this process as quick and as smooth as possible for you.

Are utility charges included in my tenancy?

All monthly rents are exclusive of utility charges; you will be directly responsible for any gas, electric & water bills. At the start of each tenancy, we will take and issue you with the current relevant meter readings. These must be supplied to the utility supplier so they can set up your account and the property bills can be transferred into your name.

Is Council Tax included in my tenancy?

You will be responsible for the payment of Council Tax. We will notify the local authority of your residence at the start of your tenancy. They will then calculate your monthly council tax payment and send out a bill each month.

What else do I have to pay for?

You will be required to pay for any other bills associated with the property, including TV licence, wifi and the landline (where applicable).

How do I report a maintenance issue?

The quickest and simplest way of reporting a maintenance issue is by contacting a member of our team. You can contact us by email or telephone, the details can be found in the contact section of this website.

What must I do at the end of a tenancy?

You must provide us with at least thirty days written notice of your intention to vacate. You must ensure you fulfill your obligations stated in the tenancy agreement and leave the property in the condition it was in at the start, accepting fair wear and tear. If you fail to do so deductions may be made from your deposit, in line with tenancy deposit scheme regulations.